Sunday, 2 August 2026

Decades later !




Seems it was back in '95 when I stopped listening to Iron Maiden. I remember after their Fear of the Dark album I felt the band had past their best. Their long time singer Bruce Dickinson must have felt that way too, as he left to " pursue solo opportunities " next. That must have really knocked the band for six.

I knew a new singer had come along, but had no interest anymore by then. Only this week did I start listening to their next album. I was shocked when I saw how many years had past since then. Ive listened to half of the songs, and this one so far stands out. The new front man has a more down to earth and bassy voice than Bruce, and that suits this albums moody, murky sounds, and that I guess summed up the bands general mood at the time.

How long can we view the world before " throwing in the towel " of morality ? This may be due to the weariness of watching decades of human destruction. It is always there and never changes, and never will likely.  Is this how humanity survives and moves forward ? 

There is a theme that runs through this album. Many lyrics suggest a final change of mind about subjects and that the time for navel gazing and considering different view points have passed. Things are as they are today, and thats finally being accepted. I am close to that mindset myself.

 

3 comments:

  1. Iron Maiden is one of the originals! Btw, I was talking to an older millennial a day ago and he has no idea about 90% of these bands like Iron Maiden, etc. He didn't even know what Ozzy sounded like. I was shocked.

    Speaking of which, Sebastian Bach from Skid Row is coming to town to perform, but my sister (who used to be obsessed with him), doesn't really care anymore. He now looks much older so I guess that means she doesn't value his music? People are so weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he has aged a bit but many of our generations stars are now starting the pass on. Thats sad and it will only continue.

      Delete
    2. Everyone is passing on except Baby Boomers, and they were targeted the most by the plandemic, because of huge pension obligations for one. Weird how that worked. As a result, many younger people are disappearing. It's a troubling thought.

      Delete